Tuesday, November 20, 2012

OkCupid, OkGo

Tragedy or Triumph TBD

I am an outgoing, fun-loving girl. I love to go out, I have a lot of friends, I am passionate about everything I do, and I take care of myself and my body. I feel no need to have a boyfriend, fiance, or husband this second, but sometimes it would be nice to have some companionship. (And I don't mean the kind of companionship that happens in many of my other blog posts). While I don't have a shortage of male friends to text at 2am, sometimes I feel I want a male friend to text at 2pm. Or better yet, receive a text from HIM at 2pm just to make me smile.

After discussing it with mostly supportive friends and my critical sister, I caved and signed up for OkCupid. Immediately I liked it because I get to fill out tons of information about myself! I admit I like that stuff. I think a lot of people are lying if they tell you they don't to be honest. They ask simple questions: Mini-bio, What are you doing with your life? What do you spend a lot of time thinking about? Good questions that require slight originality and personality to answer even somewhat cleverly. There is also a "Questions" section with multiple choice options that are all opinion based. Example: How do you feel about same sex couple having kids? A) Accepting B)Not accepting. I choose (A) and then state what answer I would require in a potential match. I say that I would like my match to also choose (A) and then can list how important it is to me. It can be "Irrelevant," "Somewhat important," or "Mandatory." OkCupid uses a lot of these questions to match me up. Again, these questions are mostly fun to answer and you can always add an explanation. The explanations are fun and the questions are very diverse. Some examples: "How irritated do you get with spelling mistakes?" "How important is art to you?" "Are you disgusted my smoking?" Some of them are too personal to answer for me, but I have to answer a question to see a potential match's response. Sometimes I am so curious I answer it just so I can see someone's answer!

I already had my first good and bad OkCupid interaction. OkCupid picks out matches for their singles called "Quivers." The first person OkCupid matches me with is someone with the username "Fattness." Yes, you read that right. "Fattness." Already I don't know how they matched us because we are 63% match, 64% friends, and 29% enemies. It seems like none of those percentages are enough to get me to contact him. Fattness starts his bio with, "I don't like talking about myself like this." Then continues to ramble on about how good his style is and how much he enjoys smoking weed and not having a job. "Music, food, air, water, sex, and weed" are the six things he cannot live without. Just to show you the contrast here, my six were, "art, chap stick, vodka, cute clothes, my family, and my skis." I was pretty sure that NO ONE could survive without food, air, water, and sex. There should just be some originality here. I did have a good interaction though and got a very nice message from a guy who manages a restaurant in Seattle... I already messaged him back and will hope for the best!

(Update) Restaurant guy and I are going out this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment